Welcome back, guys!
Last week we discussed ways in which you can effectively promote and market yourself as a product. This week we are still in the preparation stage but we are looking at what to remember 10 minutes before you stream.
Picture this, you’re going live and start streaming! Then after five minutes, you need the toilet, five minutes later you need some food, fifteen minutes later you need a drink. All these little jaunts away might not feel like much, nevertheless, you could be messing about and missing vital viewers who may keep coming back for more.
Here is a quick guide as to things to remember in the 10 minutes before going live and you stream:
Fed and Watered!
One of the basic principles of life is sustenance. I don’t mean endless Redbulls, Redsquares or Blue charges. Whatever color related sugary monstrosity you drink. I would recommend steering clear of it whilst streaming. Sure you get the initial sugar rush however you will also get low and possibly a bit of a dodgy stomach as a result.
Same applies with food, whilst sweets, chocolate, and crisps are great. (chips for our American cousins, you’re wrong but don’t say I don’t accommodate you!). Instead, you should be seeking more nutritious food to keep you going.
- Water and lots of it – No surprises here, you need to be hydrated. At the same time, a sugary drink will be like wasted calories.
- Fruit Tea or Green Tea – I am as guilty as the next person of going round after round with the coffee monster. Lately, I have tried switching this to fruit teas and green teas. Not only is it better for you. It can reduce anxiety and speed up your metabolism.
- Nuts and beef Jerky – High in protein and essential fats, food of the gods when it comes to gaming whilst maintaining that Adonis physique.
- Chicken drumsticks – Protein and more protein. Can be consumed one handed to allow you to continue setting up your stream.
- Fruits – I wouldn’t recommend consuming too much as certain fruits can be high in sugar however fruit will easily allow you to get your five a day and keep you healthy. A healthy body and mind games for longer.
Check out my list of essential snacks whilst gaming.
Testing, Testing, 1, 2…3
Yes, I know you have spent weeks perfecting your setup, It should be pristine and perfect. On the other hand, the amount of times I have logged on to stream and found my microphone has disconnected or the setting has changed on streamlabs is beyond me. Give it a final once over before you stream just to be sure.
I would advise checking the sound and audio, the visuals, and the game settings. Also as a bonus tip check, you aren’t due any updates midstream. Nothing worse than seeing your stream spontaneous close to the tune of a windows update with no warning. Either update before or postpone.
You also want to be checking the area you will be streaming in itself. Is it comfy? Are you able to sit there long term with a little issue? Is it too cluttered? These might seem like small things but they can become increasingly annoying in a longer stream.
Check out my list of essential equipment for streaming.
Check Yourself before Going Live!
You may be the next Ryan Reynolds or Margot Robbie or you may be like me exceedingly average. Make sure before going live, that you are clean, presentable and appropriately dressed. People logging on to be greeted with a dirty face will likely look elsewhere. Whilst an accidental nip slip may seem harmless or perhaps even enticing for some viewers it will likely lead to you being kicked off your streaming platform. Keep it PG, even if your game isn’t.
You have checked your physical well being, but what about your mental well being? Meditation, not medication. A few minutes of meditation with a YouTube video, some relaxing music will set you up perfectly to feel relaxed on stream.
Next week we discuss things how to interact when on stream.
eSport Viral is the creation of Brian from Debt Discipline. Our goal here at eSports Viral is to curate the best news, reviews, and recommendations from the world of gaming. A one-stop shop if you will for the online, multiplayer, and competitive video game community to find the latest and best information.